On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 07:24:53AM -0800, Simon King wrote:
> It turns out that sage/combinat/... uses the implicit assumption that
> SymmetricFunctions(...) is a strongly cached object, i.e., that it
> will persist in memory forever. But #12215 turns
> `UniqueRepresentation` into a weak cache.
>
> I don't know if it is a good solution on the long run, but for now, I
> simply made SymmetricFunctions strongly cached, and that was enough to
> solve the problem.
>
> Sorry for the noise.

Thanks for the update. Does this mean we should think of having two
variants of UniqueRepresentation? One for parents that are likely to
be created in mass, and for which we want a weak cache, and one for
parents that should persist?

To answer your question: register_isomorphism is mostly meant to be
used at initialization. However it is also there for the user to
manually add new morphisms by hand when there was none before.

That being said, we probably should deprecate it, since we now have
the short idiom phi.register_as_coercion().