Thanks Nicolas!

> This is now #12528. You are welcome to do a review of the small change
> in the Iwahori Hecke file (or more!).

It looks like this patch already has a positive review. I'm also stuck
in limbo with sage at the moment as I foolishly upgraded to macosx
lion, so I'm still using 4.7.1 as I can't compile from source. I am
looking forward to the release of sage 5.0:)

I am right in thinking that run_snake or it is runsnake?) is available
from 4.7.2 onwards?

> Does this start to be acceptable?

It looks like it is now faster than gap. I'll have to wait until I
play with it properly in sage 5 to see how it behaves for larger
tableaux.

> > This was actually the first step in the calculations that I wanted to
> > do, which involved taking certain sums of these idempotents  reducing
> > the coefficients modulo an ideal and seeing what happened to them. To
> > do this I wanted to look the Hecke over the field of fractions of Z[x,
> > \xi], where \xi is a primitive root of unity.
>
> So you probably want to take as ground field:
>
>     sage: CyclotomicField(5)['xi'].fraction_field()

I think that I want

     sage: xi=e**(2*pi*i/5);
R=FractionField(PolynomialRing(ZZ[xi],'x'))

Thank you again!
Andrew