Nicolas,

I have reverted to a version of the file that is not modified by
my latest patch (it modified a different file).
I am at the top of the stack of patches;
just removed my sage tree and rebuilt it and
reinstalled sage-combinat and updated.

My sage doesn't seem to know about the direct references like

sage.combinat.sf.sf.SymmetricFunctions

Moreover, explicit importing like

from sage.combinat.sf.sf import SymmetricFunctions

leads to the weird problem with "factorial".

It isn't SFA*, it is some weird import issue.
I will fix those SFA occurrences but that isn't the problem.

--Mark