On 5/21/12 8:11 AM, Christian Stump wrote:
>> The definition of grading is that all maximal chains of every interval
>> have the same length. This is given in the above poset, but sage says
>> it is not graded.
>
> The problem here is what people consider a "rank function" on a poset.
> Do we want that all minimal elements have value 0 ?

No. I think this is not the correct definition. Then why not maximal element?
It does not seem like a sensible definition. I agree that the algorithm
to compute the rank function might not be so nice any longer, but that
should not be a reason to use the wrong definition.

> Then your poset is
> indeed not graded. Or do we only want that some element has value 0 ?

Yes, some element has rank 0. Or in fact all that I care about is that
if y covers x then

(*) rank(y) = rank(x)+1.

The normalization is not that important.

> Then your poset is graded. But if we take the later, what are then the
> "levels" of a poset? Are all minimal elements in level 0 (which seems
> to me like a good choice), or are the levels given by your grading?

The grading is defined by (*). If the poset is connected, then this completely
fixes the rank function up to an overall additive constant. If there are
disconnected components, one may want to use a particular convention for the
additive constant.

> I think you're right since the existence of a rank function seems to
> be common sense as the definition
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graded_poset) (this is equivalent to
> your definition for locally finite posets). But then, we have to make
> a choice for the levels of a poset.
>
> My 2 cents, Christian

Best,

Anne