["Followup-To:" header set to gmane.comp.mathematics.sage.algebra.]
On 2012-08-14, John H Palmieri <jhpalmier...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ------=_Part_11_31037299.1344973817229
>> What about just "dual"? By default, it would compute the dual with
>> respect to the category to which it belongs, and we can allow
>> customization like so:
>

>>     sage: H.dual(category=VectorSpaces(QQ))
>>     ... a vector space ...
>>

> I think "H.dual()" is good. Specifying a category like this also, as well as
>
>      sage: VectorSpaces(QQ)(H.dual())

Start with an object O in some category C1, take its dual D in C1, and apply
the forgetful functor to map it to a sub-category C2; one would not always get
the same result as if one first applies the forgetful functor to O and then
dualise the result in C2, right?
And hence VectorSpaces(QQ)(H.dual()) might (perhaps not here, but in other
situations) be different from (VectorSpaces(QQ)(H)).dual(). Would that
be a problem?

Anyway, I support the suggestion to have just one method "dual()" that has
an optional argument "category" (having self.category() as default).
Then it is clear in what category the dual is taken.

Cheers,
Simon