Wow! Nicolas fantastic report.  That was a challenge to do.  I hope
you managed a convert or two in Africa.  My experience with computer
classes as part of a summer school (in Ghana, Kenya, Tanzania and
Madagascar) is similar except I never had a wifi network and most
of my students didn't have regular computer access.

Most of my students were complete novices
to the computer, but willing to learn.  Installing sage was several
steps beyond what we tried.  I would say that most of the infrastructure
that we had access to would not support sage (most computers were
dated pre-python, though I did not have the expertise to make this work).

I think to break the barrier and make a true sage days really productive,
I think that you would need to partner with some organization like OLPC
(one laptop per child) or arrange to minimize the problems with
your hardware.

-Mike