> - Matrices with rows and columns indexed by whatever objects

I have a (very) rough prototype for this as it is one of the things that I
need. Rather than matrices, however, I am thinking of making the underlying
object just an array/table as for my applications the full matrix is often
not known and more entries are added as the calculations proceed whereas
matrices are immutable. Perhaps I should finally learn about these
cloneable arrays...

> - Morphisms between two finite dimensional free modules G and H (using the
> above)
>   with arithmetic, ...

For what I am doing at the moment the following would be useful:

   - MorphismOfCombinatorialFreeModule
   - HomSpaceWthBasis
   - MorphismFromCyclicModule

and graded versions of all of the above. I mainly care about (graded) homs
between CombinatorialFreeModules and i f is such a hom, and t indexes a
basis element of G then I'd like to have f(t)=f(G(t)). I have a hacked
version of this, combining the three "categories" above, for my modules,
without that many features. I'll have make this palatable for human
consumption before I release this code:)

>   I.e. the analogue of sage.modules.matrix_morphism.MatrixMorphism.
>
> - A parent for those.
>
>   I.e the analogue of sage.modules.free_module_homspace.HomSpace
>
> What would be missing would be the shortcuts so that we could just do
> Hom(G,H), as well as generic methods that could be shared between.

I think that I still don't really undestand what Hom(G,H) represents inside
sage. Is it simply supposed to be the parent for all homs from G to H?

Typically, it seems to me that Hom(G,H) doesn't -- and, in fact, can't --
do very much: if G and H are (free) modules then Hom(G,H) is just a bunch
of matrices, which is easy.  But if G and H have any extra structure which
these homs should preserve then there often won't even be an algorithm for
computing Hom(G,H), and in many cases there won't even be a practical
algorithm for determining when a linear map belongs to Hom(G,H). So what is
Hom(G,H) suppose to do?

Andrew