Hi Everyone,

I am reviewing Travis' patch #13605 which is great as it implements some
needed improvements. I have a few minor issues which I think shouldn't be
decided between just the two of us -- apologies if I am being too precious
here!

Only fans of partitions are likely to be interested in what follows. Please
let me know what you think of the following:

   1. Travis has created two new files, partition_options.py and
   tableau_options.py, in the sage/combinat directory. *

   Question*: is this cluttering the file space too much?

   Given the number of partition and tableau files floating around already
   perhaps it would have been better to have sage/combinat/partition and
   sage/combinat/tableau directories from the start. Changing this now would
   be a deprecation nightmare, however. In any case, I do think that we should
   think twice when creating new files.

   With regards to partition_options and tableau_options I think there are
   three obvious alternatives:
   - keep them as separate files (as done currently)
      - move them into partition.py and tableau.py, respectively
      (argument against: the both affect classes outside of these files)
      - create a separate options.py file which contains all of the global
      options.

   In the long term, it would be good to come up a with a general mechanism
   to streamline the way options work for optionable classes.
   2. Similarly, there are now separate entries in the manual for partition
   and tableau options (actually, the latter doesn't exist yet). This is
   probably OK, however, I think it would work better if there was a section
   in the reference manual for "Partitions and partition like objects" which
   would have Partitions, Partition options, PartitionTuples, etc as
   subheadings.

   *Question*: should we reorganise partitions in the manual?

   This could of course be done on a separate ticket - and I guess I'm
   volunteering...

   3. Some more mundane questions:

   - The patch provides two options "convention" and "notation" both of
      which are for choosing between the English and French conventions for
      drawing Young diagrams and tableaux. I don't see any value in having two
      names for the same thing. I suggest dropping "notation".

      *Question*: should we use "convention", "notation" or both?

      Btw, this is a shared option for partitions and tableaux.

      - The new display option allows the following behaviour in sage:

      sage: Partitions().options(display="compact")
      sage: Partition([4,4,3,3,2,1,1])
      1^2,2,3^2,4^2
      sage: mu=Partition([4,4,3,3,2,1,1])
      sage: Partitions().options(display="compact"); mu
      1^2,2,3^2,4^2
      sage: Partitions().options(display="compact_high"); mu
      4^2,3^2,2,1^2
      sage: Partitions().options(display="exp"); mu
      1^2, 2, 3^2, 4^2
      sage: Partitions().options(display="exp_high"); mu
      4^2, 3^2, 2, 1^2

      I always read the parts of partitions in weakly decreasing order so
      the defaults for "compact" and "exp" look wrong: I would prefer to make
the
      default behaviour display weakling decreasing sequences here and having
      compact_low and exp_low options.

      Note: Travis prefers the current behaviour - although the "compact"
      option currently available in  5.5 is equivalent to compact_high above.

      *Question*: should the default for these options be weakling
      decreasing or weakly increasing?

      4. I have some more issues about the orderings but as these are
   currently being discussed on the ticket I'll save them for now:)

Andrew