Hi Travis,

>    This would change the import statements from `sage.combinat.partition` to
> `sage.combinat.partitions.partition`, thus I would think we would need some
> sort of deprecation for this for a user's .sage
> files. For the deprecation, I think what we would need to do is import all of
> the module level classes/functions and have them as deprecated aliases in
> `sage.combinat.partition.py`. However the UI
> would not change.

Wouldn't it suffice to have a deprecation for sage.combinat.partition in
/combinat/partition.py and have an alias there to
sage.combinat.partition.partition.
That would hopefully not be too much deprecation work at all since the UI does
not change.

>    On creating a new directory/ies, instead of a partitions and tableaux
> directory, should we just have one directory for all partition-like objects
> (I guess we could call it the slight misnomer of
> partitions)?

I would have separate directories for partitions and tableaux.

> In a few papers (and the last version of the k-Schur book I saw) called it
> "French notation" and "English convention" and I followed that.

But I would think both are subsumed under "convention".

>    I originally followed Stanley and used weakly increasing of the base (i.e.
> 1^2, 2, 3^2, 4^2). (See bottom of page 287 in EC II.) Though in long-hand,
> Stanley would write the partition as (4, 4, 3,
> 3, 2, 1, 1)...

For the usual partition notation we definitely want to keep the weakly
decreasing convention! For the exponential display, if Stanley uses increasing
convention, I would stick with that. I guess it is more useful when one
does not know the largest part, since one can just write
1^{a_1} 2^{a_2} .... with dots rather than \ell^{a_\ell} (\ell-1)^{a_{\ell-1}}
where \ell is sufficiently large.

Best,

Anne