Hi Stefan, Jesus,

> ... about plotting of weight diagrams and other root system related
> objects ...

It took me a while to answer but I wanted to first finish with Nicolas
B the refactoring of root system plots! There it is.

With respect to the discussion at hand, the main functionality that it
provides are standard (and customizable) projections for all root
system realizations of "small" rank (let's say from rank 1 to rank 4
depending on the situation). It's designed to be quite flexible and to
make it easy to draw stuff on top of a root system plot.

This is #4327 [1] which is ready for review and should get into Sage
shortly. A preview of the root system plotting tutorial is available
from [2]. It includes a couple pictures at the end showing how to draw
graphs on top of it; see also [3] for a 3D stereographic crystal graph
picture. I should mention that one can export the 2D plots as eps/pdf,
e.g. for high resolution printing. And there is a plan for latex
exports too.

As mentioned by Jesus, it's good when one can decouple the plotting
problem at hand into two independent parts::

- encoding the relevant information as a graph

- using the root system stuff as a basis to build a nice layout for
  this graph.

Of course, for higher rank one may want to use different layout
algorithms. And for small rank there may still be some logic to do to
refine the layout when several nodes want to be at the same place.

For the record, Arthur is already basing is alcove path crystal
drawing on top of #4327 (#14143) and the plan is for Reda to use it as
a basis for his crystal plotting features.

In principle, Nicolas B is going to cross review the technical side of
the current version of #4327. It would be great to have other
reviewers for the user interface and documentation, and in particular
the tutorial. Feedback welcome!

Best regards,
                                Nicolas

[1] http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/4327