Hi,

I wonder if there is a way to get a canonical form of a subgroup of a
permutation group (or, even better, any group). This would be
something like a method "canonical_labeling" for permutation groups
that returns an isomorphic permutation group, and such that two groups
are isomorphic if and only if their "canonical labellings" coincide.

I don't think anything like that is currently implemented, right?

A "natural" implementation would be to compute the multiplication
table of the group, apply the canonical form algorithm from graphs (by
simultaneous row and column permutations of the multiplication table),
obtain a canoncial form of the multiplication table, and turn this
data into a canonical form of a permutation group.

@Nathann et al.: would this be doable without too much effort from the
current algorithm for graphs? How far is the current implementation
from the possibility to take any n*n array (or square matrix, but with
no/less restrictions on the entries) and get it into a canonical form
by simultaneous row and column permutations?

Cheers, Christian