> In GAP one would just IdGroup() to get a unique label.

Is this given for any finite group in GAP, or is this depending on
http://www.gap-system.org/Packages/sgl.html ? It looks like there is
not much to do beyond these IdGroup in Sage since I guess they would
have gone beyond n=22 in Gap otherwise). On sage-devel, John Cremona
was basically suggesting the same as a unique labelling for small
groups.

>       - the multiplicative group ({-1,1}, *).

That is right, these should all result in the same group... and yes, I
forgot to add the action on the entries of the multiplication table.
So some canonical generating system on a particular subgroup of a
finite permutation group would not be enough.

Cheers, Christian