Step 1:
use the make file in the src directory and not in the patches directory as
I was.
That is:
% cd symmetrica/symmetrica-2.0.p7/src

Step 2:
There is a line in the makefile that uses "cc" for the compiler rather than
"gcc"
I changed this line to "gcc" and it compiles a lot more of the files
("touch *.c" to make sure that it doesn't use the old ".o" files).

I still can't seem to make test.c run (or do anything obvious), but at
least it compiles.

-Mike