> Would it do to coerce the two elements to the (affine extended)
> ambient space, and use the inner product there? If speed is an issue,
> one could cache the result on the bases.

Is the invariant inner product implemented already in the ambient space?
I think what is called inner product is actually the dual pairing
between the space and its dual. This is defined in ambient_space.py.

However there is a canonical isomorphism (called nu by Kac)
between the Cartan subalgebra and its dual. In principle
implementing that is enough but it is easiest to describe in
terms of the roots, not the fundamental weights.

Dan