On Thu, Apr 03, 2014 at 11:11:25AM -0400, Mark Shimozono wrote:
> I put in that line you suggested for VectorSpaces.TensorProducts().
> The categories that are appearing now tend to be Joins.

Indeed.

> I tried
> {{{
> sage: ModulesWithBasis(QQ).TensorProducts().base_ring()
> Traceback (most recent call last)
> AssertionError: some subcategory of Join of Category of tensor products of
> modules with basis over Rational Field and Category of tensor products of
> vector spaces over Rational Field should be a category over base ring
> }}}
>
> There doesn't seem to be an obvious way to get the base_ring in general.
> The category might be a join, the supercategories might be tensor products
> or not, etc.

Ah, interesting question: we are planning shortly to have the
categories be parametrized by the category of the base ring instead of
the base ring itself. I.e. we would have the category of vector spaces
over a finite field, rather than that of vector spaces over
GF(2). This to avoid creating many instances of basically identical
categories.

So use cases where you actually need to query the base ring are
welcome in preparation for this change!