> Would it be possible to include the findstat functionality in sage? That is,
> i have a bunch of pairs (permutation, number), then call the function
> findtsta on them, and get a list of possible ways that the numbers can me
> computed from the permutations. All inside sage, without need to go to the
> findstat webpage.

I really appreciate that so many people appear to be interested in the
FindStat functionality, being it from within Sage or from the FindStat
webpage!

--> It is almost sure that it will *never* be possible to use FindStat
without a web connection

--> Nevertheless, it is on our ToDo list (which is, as for basically
everyone, very packed -- I don't promise anything for a given time in
the future) to provide a text based query to the database to obtain
machine readable results that can be parsed into Sage. That should go
similarly to the Sage functionality for the OEIS. BUT please see that
querying FindStat is *much more complicated* than the simple query for
the OEIS: (A) the data structure is more complicated, (B) the
"following maps" is much more complicated.

--> It will not be possible (say within the next two years, except the
unlikely event that I will a lottery without participating, and then
spend some money to hire a professional programmer) to only query the
statistics data, and do the computations within your own Sage. That's
because there is (A) in additional layer of code on top of Sage that
makes that possible and (B) this layer is extra thick because we also
have stuff there that could be part of Sage but is not because there
is a *partial unwelcoming attitute* that prefers to give a "that's not
good for Sage" over "include non-perfect code, even if it would have a
strictly positive influence on the Sage user community" in such
instances.

Cheers,

    Christian