Well, I agree that this should be a priority, but you don't know that it
won't happen. This online discussion is set up by Europe to decide on the
topic of a workshop that will take place on 6/7 November. Once the topics
are decided, the main goal in the workshop itself will be to decide on
funding priorities for the 2016/2017 instruments (i.e. this can be seen
partly as a lobbying event). The process is long, sure, but it is also very
incremental. At the moment it costs almost nothing to participate: open an
account and post. If open source math software makes it, then all you would
have to decide to keep engaged in the process is if attending that workshop
(with like-minded people, presumably) would be of interest to you. From my
understanding this is how semi-industrial projects get started: before
calls are actually issued.
Paul

I copy/paste below the original context for the consultation:

DG CONNECT of the European Commission, more precisely the Unit
e-infrastructures in Directorate Excellence in Science in DG CONNECT, has
launched a “consultation†on mathematics. The aim is to give input for a
workshop on mathematics and for its main focus areas. This Workshop will
probably take place on 6 and/or 7 November. It will in turn feed into the
WP2016-2017 especially in the area of Excellence in Science.

This below is the link to the “consultation†or rather a discussion
forum. The idea is indeed to find first focus for the workshop and the
whole mathematical discussion. As such, mathematics is too wide a topic,
and a workshop on “mathematics†would have the risk of becoming too
generic and too overarching even if focusing on einfrastructures, and end
up in everyone agreeing that mathematics is important and going no further.

We would be very grateful to have wide input from mathematicians and
like-minded people in the “consultation†, and  as such in forming the
actual contents of the workshop. Accordingly, I would like to invite all to
participate in the consultation and to forward the link and information to
colleagues working with, on or for mathematics and ICT. Thanking in advance
– we will come back to the workshop.

Paul-Olivier Dehaye
SNF Assistant Professor of Mathematics
University of Zurich