I have followed Travis' suggestion and been inspired by both answers and
now have a working first version.
This is wonderful!

Can I make two comments?
i. I think it would be better to say that (to a first approximation) a sage
category is a subcategory of Sets.
When you are taught category theory it is drilled into you not to think of
an object as a set.

ii. I think this highlights the difference in the way the
category/parent/framework is thought about and
used in the two communities of algebraic geometry/commutative algebra and
combinatorics.

Just to clarify; I refer to tableaux because I am taking constructions that
are well know for tableaux
and generalising. One example is oscillating tableaux; these are sequences
of partitions where you
add or remove a single box at each step. One example I want to experiment
with is vacillating tableaux.
Then we have alternating tableaux, ribbon tableaux, ...

I have a Tableaux parent and an element is a Tableau. A Tableau is
mathematically a list of partitions
and the class derives from CloneableArray (which has Element buried in it).
I don't know how Morphisms,
coercions etc. fit in here. So far, I have not had any use for them and I
don't see them in examples.