Thanks to everybody for the friendly replies.

> I could paste the code right here, is that the proper way to do it? How is
> the license transferred to Sage?

The way to submit code is to push a git branch to our trac server and then
update the ticket to include that branch name under the branch field. For
more, see

http://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/developer/manual_git.html

> I have a trac account because I once contributed a small bugfix
> <https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/27139> but nothing happened with it, so
> it seems like i don't understand how the system works.

You need someone to see the ticket, and from the title and status, it was
not clear that there is a fix proposed. Your proposed fix should be turned
into a git branch as well, and you should also add a doctest showing it is
fixed (specifically, the example in the description).

> I read some of the developer's guide but it all seemed rather
> intimidating, especially for a small change. I have been programming as
> part of research, but only my own code, never collaborative projects.
>
> I will repost to sage-devel. Any further advice is welcome.

I don't see the need to do that here since you have gotten some attention
for your proposal. However, future posts might be better relegated to
sage-devel as this is not as active of a mailing list as it used to be.
Feel free to ask here or on sage-devel (maybe sage-support?) or on the
tickets if you have any questions. You can cc me "tscrim" on them as well.

Best,
Travis