David Joyner wrote:

Hello!! Im back, sorry but i was too busy.

> A warning:
>
> 1. The gap debian package is delayed by 6 months or so and splits things
> up in a
> way that many SAGE wrappers for GAP functions will probably break. For
> example,
> debian distributes no GAP packages, not even GPL'd ones. I think the debian
> version is at 4.4.4 but we have 4.4.8:
> http://packages.debian.org/stable/math/gap

I agree with this, the main problem of debian is related with the long
packaging process and SAGE is based on the newest versions of GAP,
python and others.

> 2. Likewise for maxima, which is still at 5.9.1 (we have 5.10 I think).
> http://packages.debian.org/stable/math/maxima
>
> A agree with  William that a good starting point is to make a Debian
> SAGE package that installs
> everything into /opt.

It could be good to make two things,
    1.- Build a big package that installs every thing on $DESTDIR. This
approach give me some lintian errors and debian standard doesn't like
this errors, ;>. I have to ask a deb devolper how about it.

    2.- Build a reduced version of sage that could help us with lintian
errors.

> I think Martin is not suggesting to use the official Debian packages but
> to provide our own repository,
> which means we would (eventually) maintain our own deb versions of GAP,
> Maxima, etc. This
> is a great long term goal, IMHO.
>
> Pere - you seem willing to lead the effort - what do you say?

Yes! Im willing to lead this effort, but with James and Moretti help of
course. I think that give SAGE the responsibility to mantain our deb
versions could be to hard, this idea could be problematic and could
promote a fork that could be dangerous to the project.

>>    own which SAGE depends on. Many of SAGE's dependencies are already
>> packaged
>>    somewhere (e.g. check the Knoppix Math project) but probably not with the
>>    right fixes/changes applied: See SAGE.txt in every spkg package.
>>
>>   * I'm pretty confident not only Bobby Moretti will support you and anybody
>>     attempting to build Debian packages but many SAGE developers including
>>     myself are eager to see Debian packages.

Hy list, ho is interested to form a team that will pack SAGE for the
common distros and Operating systems?