On 7/7/07, William Stein wrote:
> So I propose that the only symbolic variables that are predefined
> are x (since it's so useful to have this predefined), I (=sqrt(-1)),
> and e (=2.7...).
> If users want a symbolic variable, they have to use the var command.

In my opinion there should be *no* predefined symbols. For me even
having only these 3 symbols predefined would lead to some initial
confusion. I would very much prefer that it be necessary to ask that
these things be defined via a single import or other initialization at
the top of each notebook/sage session. Then the first question one
asks is "What is this thing at the start of the notebook page? And the
simple answer makes everything clear.