My biases are probably based on using mathematica for 17 years, but I
like the way it handles numerical vs symbolic computations.  So at
present, in sage, sin(1) is symbolic, and sin(1.0) is numerical, and
this I think is good.  What I think is bad is that something like
1.0*sin(1) is not numerical - in mathematica the sin(1) would be
forced into a numerical type.  I don't know how tricky this would be
to implement but it is what I find natural.

-Marshall