On Jul 23, 2007, at 22:57 , William Stein wrote:

> On 7/23/07, Justin C. Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Tried this on both the PowerMac (2x2.7GHz G5) and MacBook Pro (2.33
>> Mhz Intel Core 2 Duo).  SAGE built without an apparent problem on
>> both systems.
>
> Excellent.  This is great news.  I also posted a slightly newer
> alpha5 tarball
> tonight here http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/was/sage2.7.1/, and
> build-tested it on 32-bit debian, 64-bit debian, 32-bit fedora, 32-
> bit mandriva,
> OSX PowerPC, and OS X intel, and it built fine on all, and most
> doctests pass.

I'll verify this as well.

>> FWIW, it seems to take at least 40-45 processes
>> running simultaneously to do it!
>
> Interesting. At what point (or points) in the make processes does
> this occur?
> Building each spkg is a separate event, so it should be the case that
> the process usage should depend entirely on which package you're
> building.  Maybe there
> is one particularly strange package that tries to build using lots
> of processes
> at once?

I have not tried to nail it down.  The '40-45' number is a guess,
based on the fact that I typically have ~75 processes running and at
120 'maxprocperuid', there are multiple "fork" failures.  I will
check this out (by cutting back to 120 processes max).

> I've noticed that sort of performance difference for many years;
> it's why I didn't like Macs until last year when Apple switched
> from PowerPC to Intel.  Now I really really like Macs.

I'll try to poke around and see what I can find out.  Initially, I
didn't see such a big difference in timing, but recently, most things
take 2x the time on the PowerMac.  Of course, I have more going on
with the latter, but that shouldn't really account for the difference.

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-at-Large
() The ASCII Ribbon Campaign