"William Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> QUESTIONS: Why is Mathematica about 10 times faster than PARI
> at this?   What are the best ways to compute the number
> of partitions of n?  Is it a calculation involving fast arithmetic
> with dense polynomials of large degree, which would be best done
> using the upcoming FLINT library or NTL?

Please correct me if I'm crazy, but isn't there an asymptotic formula
due to Hardy and Rademacher that can evaluate $P(n)$ to a very high
accuracy very quickly?  Surely both of these packages implement such a
convergent series approach, and it is possible that SAGE has faster
real arithmetic and could do this faster.

Again, I may be completely incorrect -- please let me know.

Nick