Oops, I am in the middle of giving the gcc-4.2.1 package a try.  I
hope I am using it correctly - I installed it, and then removed
everything from spkg/installed, and now I am recompiliing by using
"make".  Will that rebuild with gcc-4.2.1? It looks like it from what
I can see during compilation.

If this doesn't help at all, I will try your suggestion of a local
binutils.

Thanks for the help,
Marshall