It turns out that I also have access to a linux-based supercomputer,
(an IBM BladeCenter with about 300 quad-processor nodes), which should
be faster than the Power4 system anyway.  So I will give up, for the
moment, trying to install sage on AIX.  I have installed sage-2.8.3.6
on the BladeCenter successfully, with the following "make test"
failures:

        sage -t  devel/sage-main/sage/modular/modform/ambient_g1.py
        sage -t  devel/sage-main/sage/modular/modform/
eisenstein_submodule.py
        sage -t  devel/sage-main/sage/modular/modform/submodule.py
        sage -t  devel/sage-main/sage/rings/real_rqdf.pyx
Total time for all tests: 2137.4 seconds

Probably some of those have been fixed in 2.8.4.

Now I'll have to learn more about DSage; I am not sure how to exploit
all those processors the way I usually code.

Cheers,
Marshall