ack, first first paragraph has the sentences out of order - an example
of giving a "useful result with an implicit assumption" is:
http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/IndefiniteIntegrals.html

"Mathematica gives the standard result for this integral, implicitly
assuming that n is not equal to -1."
Integrate[x^n, x]

the result is x^(1+n)/(1+n)

(this even happens when you give the option GenerateConditions->True)

It would be much better to return the solution and its assumption. (or
even better, all possible solutions, or some sort of message that not
all solutions could be found)