> I am rather fond of the '..' operator, though I can see why people
> wouldn't want to add it as an official part of sage.  This got me to

I think the decision about whether or not to include something like
this is definitely not decided yet.   I personally also really like the
[a..b] notation, since I really enjoyed using it in Magma, and I
think perhaps the complaints about 0 or 1-based are misplaced,
because with the [a..b] notation one is being completely explicit
about the lower endpoint.   Also, the closed brackets very very
very strongly suggest "include the endpoint", like the do in standard
mathematical notation.  Also, I was not convinced that preparsing
[a..b] is not possible in general (though Nick was worried about this).

I am going to wait a while to see what brews up, even though
the majority vote was against [a..b].

At a minimum I would like to implement that for the preparser (or
have somebody else do so), and see what it feels like to use in practice
in Sage.

And, your suggestion to make it optional is potentially viable, though
probably not necessary since people who don't want to use it can
just not use it -- it doesn't change the behavior of any existing Python
code.

 -- William

--
William Stein