On 9/23/07, David Joyner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > So the only problem would be software that specifically says "GPL
> > version *2*".  For the Sage source code itself, we always just write
> >

> > #  Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL)
> >
> > except in the following files:
> >
> > interfaces/matlab.py:
> > matrix/matrix.pyx:
> > matrix/matrix0.pyx:
> > matrix/matrix1.pyx:
> > matrix/matrix2.pyx:
> > matrix/strassen.pyx:
> >
> > I hold the copyright on all those files above.
> >
> > However, in the COPYING file for Sage itself, I wrote: "All original
> > SAGE code is distributed  under the terms of the GNU General Public
> > License *Version 2*."
> >
> > Just out of curiosity, would anybody be angry if I were to remove the
> > words "*Version 2*" from the above sentence in the COPYING file?
> > Evidently nobody (but me) has ever actually submitted any code to Sage where
> > they explicitly put "Version 2" in their copyright statement.
> > I'm asking this mainly to see what our options are.

I just want to emphasize again, that I'm *not* just suggesting throwing
in the towel and switching to GPLv2 or later.  I just want to understand
what the options are.    In particular, if we make Sage all GPLv2 or later,
and start including LGPLv3-only GMP, then I think that means all the
subtle DRM-related restrictions will apply to Sage.

> A legal question: If I write SAGE code (ie, Python code which requires
> SAGE's data extra data structures), doesn't that force, by the nature
> of the GPL,
> my code to be GPL'd, whether it is included in SAGE or not?

Definitely *not*.  If you write Sage *code*, that code can have absolutely
any license you want.    You could release it under BSD, under Microsoft
Shared Source, public domain, anything.  However, of course,
to run the program a user will have to obtain a copy of Sage.

If you write code that uses Sage, then decide to distribute that code
along with a complete copy of Sage, then the combined work would
have to be released under GPLv2.    But that's not what you
were asking.

Your question is very similar to: "If I write a program against Java (say)
or Microsoft's .NET, does my program have to be --java license-- or
--microsoft license--?"  The answer is definitely no.

William