> The operators are defined in the standard Python module 'operator'.
>
> sage: import operator
> sage: (x+y)._operator is operator.add
> True
> sage: (x*y)._operator is operator.add
> False
> sage: (x*y)._operator is operator.mul
> True
> sage: (x**y)._operator is operator.mul
> False
> sage: (x**y)._operator is operator.pow
> True

Awesome, that's exactly what I need. Thanks a lot.

BTW, I fixed the limits in SymPy and now all the limits that fail are
due to insufficient series expansion in SymPy. And I tried all the
failing cases in SAGE and it works all the time, they seem to fix this
in Maxima recently. :) Some of them are quite intricate, see for
yourself:

http://code.google.com/p/sympy/issues/list?can=2&q=%22series+bug%22&colspec=ID+Type+Status+Priority+Milestone+Owner+Summary&cells=tiles

So the algorithm should work very well in SAGE, when I port it,
unfortunately I am quite busy now, so don't know how soon it happens.

Ondrej