> I think the public free Sage notebook should be configured so that
> the sageXX accounts cannot open sockets to the outside world.  Period.
> If I knew how to configure this in < 30 minutes, I would have done it already.
>
> Once we nail down a reasonably secure public sage notebook configuration,
> I think we should configure a vmware image wiht it, and make that available
> to people.

Excellent.  Prohibiting socket access will be easier to implement than
building the compromise I proposed.

> > > 2. Disallow killing processes by any sageXX account.  This essentially
> > > means limiting the interrupts that can be issued.
>
> I don't like this, since the net result will be lots and lots and lots
> of zombie processes.  Also, people killing other people's processes is
> just slightly annoying vandalism and nothing else.
>
> Also, I think there should be a 1-1 mapping between sageXX accounts
> and notebook user accounts.   Whatever vmware image we configure,
> it'll be that way.

Building a 1-1 mapping between usernames and Unix accounts will indeed
eliminate the need to restrict the kill command.  I believe it would
be hugely beneficial to build an abstraction layer between the Sage
user accounts and the underlying system accounts.  For instance,
suppose a cluster of Sage servers are deployed for use on campus.  It
would be useful to obtain the user's credentials from an LDAP server
or some form of single sign-on service.  I'm guessing people would
find one or all of the following user abstraction modules useful:

1. Sage usernames, passwords, and meta-data stored in db backend.
When accounts are accessed, they are temporary mapped to a system user
based upon a predetermined server pool (similar to what is done now).

2. Sage usernames and passwords come from Unix backend.  Extended meta-
data for each user (such as Sage-related settings, etc) are stored in
a db backend.

3. Sage usernames and passwords are authenticated based on LDAP
information.  Extended meta-data stored are stored in a db backend
(note: at some point, a mapping must be made back to a Unix account.
A new account could be generated based upon the LDAP information, but
this is probably less than desirable for several reasons.).

> Alternatively, we could have the sage notebook server just kill absolutely
> all processes belonging to sageXX every so often.  That's the price of
> using a free resource.

True, but that seems a little unfriendly

-- Brian