sage: ZZ['x']
Univariate Polynomial Ring in x over Integer Ring
sage: F = NumberField(x^2+1)
<type 'exceptions.TypeError'>             Traceback (most recent call
last)

/home/jvoight/<ipython console> in <module>()

/home/jvoight/sage/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/sage/rings/
number_field/number_field.py in NumberField(polynomial, name, check,
names, cache)
    238     """
    239     if name is None and names is None:
--> 240         raise TypeError, "You must specify the name of the
generator."
    241     if not names is None:
    242         name = names

<type 'exceptions.TypeError'>: You must specify the name of the
generator.

Why must we name the generator?  There are many situations that I just
need to work with the field without naming anything.  Could we agree
on a default name, like 'a' or '$.1' or something?

JV