On 11/3/07, John Voight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> sage: ZZ['x']
> Univariate Polynomial Ring in x over Integer Ring
> sage: F = NumberField(x^2+1)
> <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>             Traceback (most recent call
> last)
>
> /home/jvoight/<ipython console> in <module>()
>
> /home/jvoight/sage/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/sage/rings/
> number_field/number_field.py in NumberField(polynomial, name, check,
> names, cache)
>     238     """
>     239     if name is None and names is None:
> --> 240         raise TypeError, "You must specify the name of the
> generator."
>     241     if not names is None:
>     242         name = names
>
> <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>: You must specify the name of the
> generator.
>
> Why must we name the generator?  There are many situations that I just
> need to work with the field without naming anything.  Could we agree
> on a default name, like 'a' or '$.1' or something?

One possible idea:

[2:34pm] was-547: I suspect people might suggest a scheme whereby one
can set a rule for global auto-generation of variable names.
[2:35pm] jvoight-1085: Yeah, as long as there's a good reason for it,
I don't really care what the ultimate answer is.
[2:35pm] was-547: E.g., one can set them to all be "a", or be
a,b,c,d,e, or a0, a1, a2,
[2:35pm] was-547: and anybody can do what they want.
[2:35pm] was-547: Then any function that needs names can get them from
that global thing.