Thanks, somehow I knew this was going to become a trac ticket.  It is
also my suspicion that it is an optimization issue with number
fields.  It seems really bizarre that it should be calling a
polynomial ring constructor!

(The cost right now is absolutely killing me right now.  I've started
enumerating relative extensions of number fields, and doing actual
computation right now is taking negligible time in comparison to
actual stuff!  I've already spent a couple of hours trying to figure
out exactly where in my code this is happening, but because of the
many ways in which elements are being created--and needing to use pari
in between for some functionality which has not been implemented, e.g.
finding an LLL-reduced basis of the ring of integers--even after my
attempts, I had only managed to slow things down!)

JV