On Nov 8, 2007, at 1:52 PM, mabshoff wrote:

> There is without a doubt something fishy going on with coercion. See
> also malb's report with polynomial rings at
>
> http://www.sagetrac.org/sage_trac/ticket/1046

Just to confirm, this is only the first time, right?

I am pretty sure this is because the coercion model tries to compute
the construction tower and "pushout" one-variable at a time. This is
to support stuff like

sage: ZZ['x,y,z'].gen(1) + QQ['y'].gen(0)
2*y

Of course it is bad when you have multi-variate polynomials in 100's
of variables... Any ideas on how to handle both cases cleanly?

- Robert