On Jan 5, 12:35 pm, "Alfredo Portes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2007 6:41 PM, mabshoff
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > thanks to Ted Kosan we now have a 2.9 VMWare image available for
> > download at sagemath.org. It has been mirrored out to
> > sage.math.washington.edu and modular.fas.harvard.edu. It is about 70mb
> > larger than the 2.8.15 image, but I am not sure if that is caused by
> > the additions of R, ATLAS and PolyBori or something else. For now I
> > left the 2.8.15 image on the server. William: I assume we should
> > delete it, but I am waiting until 2.9 has been mirrored out more
> > wildly.
>
> I forgot to mention in the other thread also, that a livecd image
> can make the vmware image much smaller than what it is now,
> and have a desktop environment as a plus.
>
> Of course another option would be to use DSL like William suggested, but
> this probably will require more work (compiling Sage, etc.)

The plan was to actually provide a VMWare image with DSL + binary
Sage.That image won't be capable of doing any development, but it
would be a Sage light solution for people who just want to "use" Sage.

Somebody tried compiling Sage on DSL and run into problems with
Singular, but since the Singular team recently fixed an issue where a
32 bit Linux build depended on kernel headers to be present that issue
might be fixed by now. So somebody ought to try again.

> Regards,
>
> Alfredo

Cheers,

Michael