On Jan 5, 2008 1:06 PM, mabshoff
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Jan 4, 11:16 am, "Ondrej Certik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> Hi,
>
> I meant to reply to this earlier, but I got sidetracked by the
> release.
>
> > I got this email from Peter Doyle and with his permission I am
> > forwarding it here.

I think William could answer this in more details, when he get's back
from San Diego.

I think the time is spent in translating from Sage classes
to string, then passing to maxima, maxima parses the string (actually it's own
language), into Maxima representation, calculates sin(1)+sin(2) which
is fast, converts
to string, Sage parses this string and converts to Sage classes.

So I am not surprised, that such simple things are faster in SymPy.

Sage is faster when it lets calculate Maxima, like longer expansions,
factoring, etc.

Ondrej