William wrote:

> It would be good for you to take a look at what Wiris does if you are
> interested in the Sage notebook.

Here is a direct link to the demo applet.  Just click the link, wait a
bit for the applet to load, and then play with it.

http://www.wiris.com/applets/CAS/en/cas_1_en.htm

> Ted Kosan, you might particularly find Wiris interesting since
> it is a 100% java app instead of javascript.
>They ended the discussion by telling us that their web-based
>interface is (going to be) much better than ours.

The Wiris notebook Applet seems to provide a good opportunity to
discuss notebook strategy.

I like the AJAX notebook. But my position is that an AJAX-based
notebook that is so good it pushes the limits of what AJAX can do
would still be no where near as capable as a well-written Java
Applet-based notebook.  I think Java is at least an order of magnitude
more capable than Javascript is and I don't see this changing anytime
soon.  Execute the following two blocks of code in separate worksheet
cells for a further  demonstration of this:

#GUI widgets.
html('<applet id="mathrider"\
code="SwingSetApplet"\
width="695" height="525"\
codebase="http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/tkosan/mathrider/SwingSet/"\
archive="SwingSet.jar" MAYSCRIPT></applet>')

#2D graphics.
html('<applet id="mathrider"\
code="Java2DemoApplet.class"\
width="695" height="525"\
codebase="http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/tkosan/mathrider/Java2D/"\
archive="Java2Demo.jar" MAYSCRIPT></applet>')

So, if people want a notebook that can do everything the current
notebook can do, plus is capable of doing everything that the Wiris
notebook can do (and the Mathematica notebook for that matter), Java
is the technology for the job for the foreseeable future :-)

Ted