Thanks for the quick answers. It's good to know that sage does have a
distinction between classical doctests and unit tests. Is there a deeper
reason than tradition that the latter is implemented as doc tests using
TESTS, instead of more conventional approaches using pytest or nose? Refs
https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/28936