On Tue, 20 Oct 2020, 15:12 Nathan Dunfield, <nat...@dunfield.info> wrote:

> Well, seriously speaking, such drastic changes are needed sometimes,
>> and they demand a bump in the major version number, e.g. they can
>> happen in Sage 10.0.
>>
> It takes a lot of effort for a newcomer to get that RR and CC are
>> basically RDF and CDF on steroids, to get the mysteries of AA, etc
>> etc.
>>

> My perspective is partly coming as someone who has several papers that
> rely heavily on Sage computations. I've archived the code and data in a
> permanent fashion, but every backwards incompatible change Sage makes
> decreases the odds that anyone will be able to easily verify or extend my
> work five years from now.

one needs to maintain the code, one can't just hope it will all magically
keep working in newer versions (it won't be true even if it was in plain
Python).

And in this case a fix is trivial.
(and you have a chance to check along the way that it is still working)

Certainly, changing the versions of RealField will break all of it.  As you