Dear all,

*-1: I don't really care what RealField.__repr__ returns, but cast a token
no vote to object to the logical next move of breaking backwards
compatibility by changing the meaning of RealField and/or RR.  I see the
need for a "genuine real field", but it seems a lot simpler just to call it
something other than "RealField" and so not break a lot of existing users'
Sage code. *

Perhaps I am just too naive as a newbie here, but I think the details of
backwards compatibility can be discussed when it comes to the actual
implementation of the "genuine" real field. We are barely there, and I
think there are many compromises and gray zones possible than just "destroy
the current behavior", right?

By the way, has anyone considered my proposal?

*I'd suggest a workaround: so what about "Real Field realized by
Floating-point arithmetics of precision xx" and keep the above behavior?
And then similarly for interval arithmetics and ball arithmetics*

Whether we call it "realized", "represented" or "approximately
represented", I think this is a good compromise, keeps the description
rigorous and makes the step to a "genuine" real field much more
comprehensible. I don't mind if you don't agree, but I'm curious about your
opinions.

Best,
Michael