Dear all,

Substitution on multivariate polynomials is leaking memory
(https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/27261). This can actually
crash sage if used a lot (with a memory overflow error from
singular). The code of subs and __call__ use some low-level
calls to the singular library and this is likely to be the
origin of the problem. Unless somebody knows the code or
want to dig in, I propose to switch to naive symbolic
evaluation. This is infinitely slower but at least does not
leak memory. Please have a look.

To my mind, it would make sense to add this to the 9.3
release.

Best
Vincent