I have at least one close user/tester that builds sage-on-gentoo on a gentoo
prefix (on a debian machine I think). Pretty much every beta/rc release get
built and tested.
I used to work on gentoo-prefix on OS X for a while. I should try it again
someday but I don’t feel like my little macbook pro is a suitable environment
for the kind of always compiling that ends up happening if you are doing
serious development rather than just installing it every once in a while to use
it.

By the way switching to clang+gfortran-spkg over the gcc-spkg shaved 3 hours of
building time of vanilla sage on my previous macbook. That was what took the
most time to build by a very wide margin.

> On 24/09/2021, at 16:18, Matthias Koeppe <matthiaskoe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Gentoo is not relocatable, so that would not be useful. gentoo-prefix is
> hardly production-ready last time I checked
> (https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/29105), and there is no evidence anyone has
> ever built Sage on it.

François