Hi,

Le vendredi 24 septembre 2021 à 12:23 +0100, Dima Pasechnik a écrit :

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2021, 02:12 Matthias Koeppe,
> <matthiaskoe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I repeat my strong objections to the proposed change -- which does
> > not solve any problems and only creates new ones.
> >
> > 1. When you refer to the "huge time sink", I think you are
> > referring to painful memories from some distant past. But we have
> > no current or recent problem with either the gcc or gfortran
> > package. I fixed the last problems with the gfortran package in
> > early 2020; there have not been any problems since.
>
> I am referring to the time sink caused by the mere presence of
> gcc/gfortran spkg in Sage. Namely,
>
> - support of outdated systems nobody uses (many tickets supporting
> past EOL systems recently)
>
> - support of modern, but broken, systems (e.g. we just should not
> care that a particular Fedora version broke its gcc, it's not out
> problem, let us not try to bite more than we can chew)
>
> - users who attempt to build gfortran as they don't have it installed
> - many fail, but I guess many more succeed,
> and rebuild it for each new release
>
> - our Linux and  macOS binary builds are increasingly useless, and a
> timesink for everyone involved, potential users too.

I made the point years ago that sagemath should be broken in two:

- sagemath-the-software ;

- sagemath-the-distribution.

This thread is an illustration of why that would simplify matters:

- sagemath developpers could focus on making the sofware work (both
increasing its scope/efficiency and solving real issues) ;

- the various distribution packagers would handle their specific
problems, and only complain upstream when there's an actual problem.

Cheers,

J.Puydt