In the meantime I managed to verify that aside from the gitlab CI/CD there
are no other things that are broken. Meaning that I managed to build the
docker file shipped with sage just fine on my laptop. I pushed a build of
9.4 to https://hub.docker.com/r/mderickx/sagemath/ in case anyone is
interested.