Hi,

The optional package Jupyterlab has been upgraded to version 3.3.1 in
https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/32069
(merged in Sage 9.6.beta5)

Jupyterlab offers more functionalities than the classic Jupyter Notebook
and is aimed to replace it, see e.g.
https://jupyterlab.readthedocs.io/en/stable/getting_started/overview.html

Maybe it is time to make it a standard package in Sage.

To be clear, this is not to switch (yet) the default notebook interface
from the  classic Jupyter Notebook to Jupyterlab, but simply to make the
following commands work out of the box:

(1) sage -n
(2) sage -n jupyterlab

with (1) launching the classic Jupyter Notebook (current behavior).
At the moment, (2) fails by complaining that Jupyterlab is not installed.

In a second stage, we could get rid of the Jupyter Notebook as a standard
package, but still keeping the same user interface as (1) and (2)  thanks
to the extension nbclassic of Jupyterlab. This extension has been added to
#32069. Then (1) will run Jupyterlab with the nbclassic interface, which is
identical to the classic Jupyter Notebook one.

In a third stage, we could make Jupyterlab the default by having (1)
running it and having the old interface still accessible via

(3) sage -n nbclassic

Please vote.

Eric.