several Linux distributions carry reasonably up to date binary Sage
installations (and these can be installed on various VMs, e.g. on Windows’
WSL, ChromeOS’ Crostini, etc)

For example current LinuxMint and WSL are both on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS which
gives you Sage 9.0 (as in the example I’ve mentioned above). To get Sage
9.5 you need Ubuntu 22.04 (I guess not very widespread at the moment). My
point is the following: until we discontinued the binary tarballs, the
straight ahead way to a Sage installation for Ubuntu systems lead you to
the current release. This is broken, now.

The installation manual for 9.6 will look like this:
https://6212659123a9467b3cb0cd07--sagemath-tobias.netlify.app/installation/index.html
There’s a decision tree.

Looks good. But, according to your sentence:

I agree, we should update our documentation to warn people about wildly
outdated distribution packages on outdated OS distributions, and steer
users to using conda-forge.

I would have expected that the *no root access* question comes first and
perhaps reads like this: *no root access or older OS distribution*.

All - https://www.sagemath.org/ now has a revised Download menu - please
take a look.

No doubt, this improves the situation a lot! But I think someone visiting
our web-page the first time will rather push the *big blue button Download
9.5* instead of going to the download menu especially if he wants to be
sure to get the current release. This launches this page
<https://www.sagemath.org/download.html>. But the chance to receive the
promised release from there went down tremendously since we discontinued
the binary tarballs. Don’t get me wrong: I completely understand that we
don’t continue the tarballs for maintenance reasons, but I think there are
further adaptions needed.
​