On Tue, 2022-04-26 at 15:12 -0700, Matthias Koeppe wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 26, 2022 at 2:07:40 PM UTC-7 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2022-04-26 at 12:20 -0700, Matthias Koeppe wrote:
> > > This makes no sense on any distribution other than build-from-source
> > > distributions like gentoo.
> >
> > Homebrew, Conda, and sage itself are all source-based.
>

> Of the three, only Sage is a source-based distribution.

That's a stretch. By the same reasoning, Gentoo isn't source-based,
because you have the option of installing pre-built binary packages
with the default set of options. The need for source-based builds in
this context is precisely when someone hasn't thought to make a binary
package for your architecture/CPU/libc/whatever ahead of time.

Regardless, there is also Nix, but sage itself should be reason enough
to choose the better approach.

Finally, upon reflection, I fail to see how this is an issue specific
to source-based distributions. All four of the problems I listed also
affect binary distributions, and the solution in Trac #30746 should
work almost as well there. For example, installing "ffmpeg" on Debian
would not automatically enable ffmpeg within sage, but installing
"sage-ffmpeg" would add the pkg-config file and thereby enable it. That
leaves problem (1) up to the maintainer -- whether or not he wants to
add a dependency on sage-ffmpeg to sage itself -- but handily solves
the other three.