On Wed, 2022-05-04 at 01:56 -0400, ph h wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Sadly, readlink is not a POSIX standard utility; otherwise we would
> > already be using it in place of resolvelinks().
>
> In that case, please try this:
>
> #SELF=$(readlink -f $0)
> SELF=$(cd `dirname $0` ; pwd)/`basename $0`

That will fail if $0 is a symlink, because `dirname $0` will get the
directory that contains the symlink itself and not its target.

Our installation instructions suggest creating such a symlink:

  https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/installation/source.html

I don't have much nice to say about that installation procedure, but
running sage from a symlink is something that should be supported
regardless of how it was installed.