Hi,

> When SAGE_ROOT is not available, "sage --advanced" will not show the
commands for rebuilding Sage, which need SAGE_ROOT.

and any other options like "sage --coverageall", :sage --testall", ... and
what else?

Not only that  "sage --advanced" will not show the options but also 'sage'
should NOT attempt to do them (when the users insist) with error messages.
'Sage' should instead give some wise advice and gracefully exits(?):

" For this option to work, you need '$SAGE_ROOT' which is not available on
your system right now.
(In case you are testing me, you know that I know what you are doing,
please 'mv beta1_ beta1' (smiley))"

Cheers,

phiho